I had some clients in from out of town this weekend looking at Lofts in and around Downtown Calgary. We spent 2 hours looking at 6 lofts and they came away with a good appreciation for the current loft market; the opportunities and the challenges. Here is what we saw with a few of my notes:
- #314-1528 11th Avenue SW in Sunalta: 1 Bed/1 Bath with very high ceilings in not only the living room but also the bedroom upstairs. Not a bad suite for the price and location. Does not show very well as the unit is messy and the furniture does not fit all that well (tenanted suite). $285,000
- #310-1528 11th Avenue SW in Sunalta: 2 Bed/2 Bath and over 1000SqFt. Beautifully renovated and the only suite we saw that offered 2 bedrooms (1 on the main floor and the loft) along with 2 bathrooms and a ton of closet space. Shows very well, feels like a home. $339,900
- #307-1817 14a Street in Bankview: 1 Bed/1 Bath very funky loft with stained concrete floors. For a small space (505 SqFt) it was bright and airy and had very cool, urban, Downtown views. $259,900
- #207-1505 27th Avenue SW in South Calgary: 1 Bed/1.5 Baths. Very spacious living room with high ceilings. The kitchen is a bit skinny with the oversized counter/breakfast bar. Powder room on the main floor is nice but the bathtub in the Master bedroom is awkward and would be a lot of work to have it removed. $329,900
- #310-1117 1st Street SW: 1 Bed/1 Bath in Victoria Park. The Imperial Lofts, one of the most distinct buildings in Calgary. Very cool exposed wood beams in the kitchen and 18 foot ceilings in the living room. The odd thing is that the windows start about 4-5 feet above the floor so when you sit on the couch you actually look at the wall instead of out the window. We talked about building a raised floor in the living room so you would be more window height...I think this would be a very cool idea as you could have a 2.5 level condo with over height ceilings and huge windows,. The suite is tenanted and could use a bit of work but well worth it to be in one of the most beautiful and historic buildings in Calgary. $354,900
- #324-1808 36th Avenue SW in Altadore: 1 Bed/1.5 Bath with oversized mezzanine with work area. The pictures definitely do not do this loft justice. Very cool polished concrete floors and spiral staircase (it looks pretty but not always the most practical of stairs...especially after a couple glasses of wine but hey, to each their own). The most 'suburban' location we saw on the tour but a good compromise in the urban/suburban debate. $309,900.
The best suite we saw on this tour was unanimously #310-1528 11th Avenue SW in Sunalta.
What a loft! Very well thought out in the finishings and a very impressive yet
functional layout. Very happy we were able to see this suite. Second favorite
was #307-1817 14a Street in Bankview: Funky,
urban, small space living.
TIP: Get out there and see some spaces. #324 was a total diamond in the rough. The building and common areas are not impressive but the suite takes your breath away.
This is typical of our loft tours. The clients have a budget and timeframe we work in and it makes for a great time as well as a good education for the clients. To book a Loft tour, call us anytime.